Space Dog Moonwatch: Launching Tomorrow
Tomorrow at noon, a limited edition Omega Speedmaster "Silver Snoopy" watch will IPO on Rally. The details:
- • Market Cap: $25,500
- • Number Of Shares: 2,000
- • Price Per Share: $12.75
- • NASA ❤️ Snoopy... NASA introduced the Silver Snoopy Award in 1968 as part of the Space Flight Awareness program. NASA wanted a mascot of sorts, a symbol for spaceflight that was widely known and appreciated by the public (remember Smokey Bear 🌲🔥🐻?). United Feature Syndicate, the distributor of the Peanuts comics staring Snoopy, agreed to let NASA use "Snoopy the Astronaut" at no cost, happy to have the free publicity.
- • Can I get one? Fewer than 1 percent of the aerospace program workforce receive the Silver Snoopy Award annually, making it a special honor reserved for outstanding achievements related to human flight safety or mission success. Raise your hand if you knew a sterling silver lapel Snoopy pin that's been to space was given as a prestigious award.
• "Houston we've had a problem"... Apollo 13 was supposed to be NASA's third crewed mission to land on the moon. When an oxygen tank exploded and crippled the spacecraft, the attention of the crew shifted to making it back home alive in the space equivalent of a life boat. Did we mention this was a nationally televised event? Did we mention this famous quote was changed to the present-tense in the 1995 film "Apollo 13"?
- • What Could You Do In 14 Seconds? At one point, the crew had to do a manual burn course correction for 14 seconds in order to re-enter Earth's atmosphere, and had to rely on an Omega Speedmaster for accuracy. Miraculously, the crew returned home alive. The astronauts of Apollo 13 later awarded Omega with a Silver Snoopy Award for its role in their safe return. On the 45th anniversary of the mission, Omega released 1,970 commemorative Omega Speedmaster "Silver Snoopy" watches at Baselworld in 2015.
- • Bid/Ask Check... A seller is asking $45,600 on StockX, where the highest bid is $17K. On ebay, a seller is asking $39.5K.
- • Short term value potential... 1 of 4 watches on Rally has entered the trading phase (90 days since IPO). That watch, the 2018 Rolex GMT Master II "Pepsi Jubilee", IPO'd on November 1, 2019 with 2,000 shares offered at $8.90 per share for a market cap of $17,800. After the last trading window (3/17/20), it's trading at $10.00 per share, up 12.36% from the IPO for a market cap of $20,000, showing the potential for short term as well as long term value in fractionalized watches.
- • Corona-conomy... Former Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke is predicting a short, sharp recession followed by a rapid recovery. Q1 and Q2 earnings will almost certainly be rough unless you're a video chat app or an essential business. If you are social distancing from traditional equity markets, investing in an alternative to stocks on any fractional share platform holds merit.
Disclaimer: You understand that by reading Altan Insights, you are not receiving financial advice. No content published here constitutes a recommendation that any particular security, transaction, or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. You further understand that the author(s) are not advising you personally concerning the nature, potential, value or suitability of any particular security, transaction, or investment strategy. You alone are solely responsible for determining whether an investment, security or strategy, or any other product or service, is appropriate or suitable for you based on your investment objectives and personal financial situation. Please speak with a financial advisor to understand if the risks inherent in trading are appropriate for you. Trade at your own risk.