Fantastic Fourtune Telling
Tomorrow at 12 PM EST, 'Fantastic Four #52' (1966, CGC 9.6) is set to IPO on Otis. The financials:
- Market Cap: $24,000
- Number Of Shares: 1,000
- Price Per Share: $24.00
• The Fantastic First Family… burst onto pages in November, 1961, the co-creation of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. The team, who developed superpowers after exposure to cosmic rays during a scientific mission to outer space, consists of Mister Fantastic, his wife the Invisible Woman, her brother the Human Torch, and their friend, the Thing. With regard to comic book super team fame, this family affair only falls short of the Avengers and X-Men within Marvel.
• First Appearance… of T’Challa, the Black Panther, king and protector of the fictional African nation of Wakanda. Black Panther’s first appearance was a breakthrough: he was the first black superhero introduced in comic books (the next closest is the Falcon, 1969). You already know his backstory, because no one missed the 2018 film Black Panther, the #5 top grossing superhero movie to date, which made $1.35 billion at the box office on a $200 million budget.
• Wakanda Forever… A Black Panther sequel is slated for a 2022 release. Not only that, but Marvel has announced that the Fantastic Four franchise will reboot as part of Phase 4 of the MCU (likely coming in 2023). Both films should serve as catalysts for the future appreciation of FF#52.
• 4 by the Numbers… This 9.6 (“Near Mint+”) graded copy is 1 of 15 in the same condition, the 2nd highest rating for FF#52. There are only 5 copies in better condition which share a CGC 9.8 “Near Mint/Mint” grade.
• Price Tag … Otis purchased FF#52 for $23,000 earlier this year. Thus far in 2020, the average sale price of $20,403 is down 17% from the $24,500 average sale price in 2019, but up 10X from the 2010 average sale price of $2,550. We see its value appreciating in tandem with the Black Panther sequel. The FF reboot is 3 years away and the franchise hasn't yet proven it can deliver on the big screen, but being in the MCU should help its cause, and if it does, the value may yet again see a boost.
• Comics X Otis… FF#52 is the 5th comic book IPO from Otis and has the 2nd highest IPO value behind ‘The Incredible Hulk #181’ and it’s $35,000 Market Cap. However, that’s soon to change drastically, as Otis has also teased 2 additional 6-figure comic books, ‘Avengers #1’ and ‘X-Men #1’, with a Market Cap of $100,000 and $136,500, respectively. Comic books tend to sell out in a matter of minutes, so be sure you’re logged into Otis tomorrow at 12 PM EST if you want in on the FF#52 IPO.
Disclaimer: You understand that by reading Altan Insights, you are not receiving financial advice. No content published here constitutes a recommendation that any particular security, transaction, or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. You further understand that the author(s) are not advising you personally concerning the nature, potential, value or suitability of any particular security, transaction, or investment strategy. You alone are solely responsible for determining whether an investment, security or strategy, or any other product or service, is appropriate or suitable for you based on your investment objectives and personal financial situation. Please speak with a financial advisor to understand if the risks inherent in trading are appropriate for you. Trade at your own risk.